You’ve read about viral launches and have wondered what it would take to replicate that success for your business.
We’ve also talked in the past on how to supercharge your conversion rate using social referrals.
But let’s be honest… without a team of developers, a full blown refer-a-friend launch campaign is not easy to build. Especially if you’re just starting out.
You’re in luck!
KickoffLabs gives you access to the same marketing tools (and more!) that Harry’s used to gather over 100,000 emails.
— Rossa Shanks (@rossashanks) April 28, 2015
Let’s take a look at setting up a viral social referral campaign like Harry’s.
The Signup Landing Page
Harry’s used a two-page microsite, automated email replies and reward levels to boost their launch campaign. Let’s start by focusing on the initial splash page.
The strengths of the Harry’s signup page:
- simple page with a great design.
- high quality image that is descriptive of the offering.
- asking only for an email address. Less fields = less friction.
- key icon above signup form “unlocks” access.
- own domain name that builds customer trust (prelaunch.harrys.com)
Setup with KickoffLabs
We’ll be creating a new campaign from scratch, but you can also create these changes under any existing KickoffLabs Campaign.
1. Click ‘Add New Campaign’.
2. Give your campaign a descriptive name, then click ‘Create My New Campaign’.
3. From your newly created Campaign Dashboard (or from an existing Campaign), click ‘Start Collecting Leads’ (or from the ‘Pages and Forms’ drop-down click ‘Add New Page or Widget’) to create the main signup landing page.
4. KickoffLabs offers many different ways to collect leads, but in this case you’ll want to click ‘Create A New Landing Page’.
5. In the landing page selection screen; give your landing page a name, then pick your favorite KickoffLabs theme and click ‘Choose’.
For a landing page that’s modeled after the original, high-converting Harry’s splash page choose our “Harry Signs Up” theme.
6. Now click ‘Edit Page’ to enter the KickoffLabs landing page designer.
7. Inside of the designer, go ahead and customize the signup page to your liking. Add in custom text, fonts, colors, images and more.
When your edits are complete, click ‘Publish’ to exit the designer.
This will SAVE and generate a live URL of the page you can easily update later.
All set creating the signup page!
The Social Referrals & Rewards Thank You Page
This is the page that’s shown immediately after a new signup clicks ‘Submit’. This “Thank You Page” displays a sharing message, referral progress and the reward levels.
Through this unique social referral and rewards technique, 77% of Harry’s campaign total of signups came through sharing.
Elements that were key to success:
- earning free product is as easy as sharing.
- prominent social buttons and social referral link.
- reward levels and progress are clearly visible.
- pre-populated custom social sharing messages.
Setup with KickoffLabs
1. To create the dedicated thank you page, from the “Pages & Forms” drop-down click ‘Add New Page or Widget’.
2. In the lead capture tool selection screen, scroll down to the “Thank You Pages – Viral & Referral Tracking” section and click ‘Create a New Thank You Page’.
3. Give your thank you page a name, then locate our “Harry Goes Viral Thanks” theme and click ‘Choose’.
You’ll want to use this theme for the referrals and progress bar functionality that’s built in.
4. From your page dashboard, click ‘Edit Page’ to enter the designer.
5. Inside of the designer is where you’ll customize the look of the page and configure the reward levels.
Our “Harry Goes Viral Thanks” theme automatically calculates and displays the correct information to your signups. However inside of the designer you will see default test numbers so you can see what an example would look like.
The theme also defaults to 0, 5, 10, 15, and 25 friends joined rewards path. However it’s easy to customize the rewards levels to suit your business and campaign needs.
6. In the “General” sidebar tab you’ll find the “Prizes” section which includes the settings for reward levels:
- Number Of Rewards Levels – the number of reward levels that are available to signups. You can set this anywhere between 2 to 5 reward levels.
- Prize Level 1-5 – depending on the number of reward levels you setup, this is the number of social referrals a signup needs in order to reach each reward level.
- Reward Text – allows you to change the label of the “Rewards” text on the page.
- Friends – allows you to change the label of the “Friends Joined” text on the page.
- Prize Text 1-5 – depending on the number of reward levels you setup, this is the description of prizes of each reward level. You can even add custom images into this section.
- Friends Joined – allows you to change the label of the “invited friends have joined. Keep checking” text above the progress bar.
In this example, I’ll use the default 5 “Number Of Rewards Levels”, but will set the prize levels to 0, 3, 5, 10 & 15 required social referrals.
7. If you scroll down in the “General” sidebar tab, you will find also “Sharing” options which allow you to easily enable/disable social sharing across a variety of social networks.
8. When complete making edits to your thank you page, click ‘Publish’ to exit the designer.
Note: Your thank you page must first be published in order to become available as a redirect option (you can easily update the URL later).
9. One final step after creating your thank you page, we need to assign the signup landing page to redirect to the thank you page. Click back to your Campaign dashboard to do so.
10. Locate the signup landing page and click ‘Edit Page’.
11. From the “Thanks” sidebar tab, locate the “Redirect Options” section. In the “Redirect To” drop-down, choose the Thank You Page you created earlier.
12. Now click ‘Publish’, to activate your changes.
All set creating and redirecting to the thank you page!
*Be sure to fill out the page title, description, and social sharing information from the “Settings” sidebar tab in both your signup and thank you pages.
The Automatic Email Replies
Don’t neglect your signups after they’ve converted. Email reminds people what they signed up for and instigates action. Not to mention it’s proven that email has the highest ROI out of all marketing channels.
Harry’s amounted a huge subscriber list, in part due to their sharing and referral focused emails.
Unfortunately there are no examples on the web, so we can only speculate what Harry’s emails looked like. But judging by the social share message, we can see the copy is first-person and non-salesy.
The series of emails we’’l be sending out are:
- Instant thank you and share email (AutoReply) – the initial email response reminding people about the rewards for sharing.
- Rewards & incentives emails (a KickoffLabs exclusive) – notify people if and once they’ve reached any of multiple reward levels you setup.
Setup with KickoffLabs
A. Instant thank you email (AutoReply)
1. If you’re still in the landing page designer, from the “Thanks” sidebar tab locate the “Automatic Email” section and click ‘Configure it here’…
…otherwise, from the dashboard look for the “Emails” drop-down and click ‘Setup Automatic Reply’.
2. Now in the KickoffLabs AutoReply screen, you can configure your email. Add in a logo, customize the text, and more.
However you customize the email, don’t delete the tags that KickoffLabs uses to autogenerate the social referral and sharing links.
3. When you’re done editing the AutoReply email, click ‘Save Auto Reply Settings’.
All set configuring the initial email autoresponse!
B. Rewards & incentives emails
Our campaign has specific sharing goals and rewards for leads, so we will not enable KickoffLabs Influencer Email… rather we will setup a series of Incentive Emails to guide progress and deliver specific rewards after reaching referral totals you define.
1. From the “Emails” drop-down, click ‘Setup Incentive Emails’.
2. Click ‘Add Your First Incentive Email’ to create the email.
3. Make sure the incentive email is enabled. Then in the “Required Number of Leads” field, place in the number of successful referrals necessary to receive the 2nd reward level.
I setup the 2nd reward level for 3 referrals – we are skipping the 1st level since that reward required 0 referrals and goes out in the initial email auto reply.
You will need to setup a new Incentive email for each reward level that you have assigned.
When you are finished setting up each email, your currently configured incentive emails may look like this…
Keep in mind that these are just guidelines as there are no rules on how you can use KickoffLabs Viral Incentive Emails. Feel free to get creative. We’d love to see what you come up with!
All set creating the incentive emails!
1. Be sure to configure the from name and address by clicking ‘Update Email Settings’ from the “Emails” drop-down.
2. From the “Reporting” drop-down, click ‘Status Reports & Lead Notifications’ to configure your own notifications.
Publish Your Campaign
When you are ready to start collecting signups, it’s time to publish your campaign to the live web. When you publish your page, you get a URL link that can be shared and advertised.
While you can always publish pages to our free kickoffpages.com domain – this is generally meant as a testing domain for your landing pages. It’s best to use a custom domain so visitors don’t get confused if they see kickoffpages.com in your domain name.
For the best results (and highest conversion rate), we recommend using your own custom domain with KickoffLabs.
Tracking Sharing and Reports
KickoffLabs automatically tracks any sharing that signups are doing. We use this data to move people on the waiting list.
1. Once you start collecting leads, you’ll find all the data under the “Reporting” drop-down.
2. From the “Lead Reports” you can filter through most recent AND most influential leads.
3. For more in-depth tracking, click ‘Download Leads’ to download a detailed spreadsheet of your leads.
We hope this quick guide helps you in building the perfect viral campaign.
If you require any assistance, feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’ve gotten this far and still don’t have a KickoffLabs account…
Get started now for free
Learn the Landing Page Marketing Essentials:
Copywriting, Design, and Traffic GenerationCheck It Out