By Josh Ledgard
You’ve read about viral launches and have wondered what it would take to replicate that success for your business. We’ve also talked in the past on how to supercharge your conversion rate using social referrals.
But let’s be honest… without a team of developers, a full blown waiting list campaign is not easy to build. Especially if you’re just starting out.
Did you know that now you can build a viral waiting list landing page with KickoffLabs. Quick and effective!
Let’s take a look at setting up a waiting list campaign like Robinhood.io
Most people may have seen the Robinhood.io page using a video background. After several iterations this was their final waiting list version. Keep in mind, just because they used a background video signup page doesn’t mean you have to.
But if you wanted to do this, you can by using our new “Very Visual” landing page theme which supports background video :)
The 1st version of their signup page was a cleaner white background and image below the form.
This 2nd version of their page used a great static background image and centered form (also easy to do using KickoffLabs themes).
However you design the signup page, in the images above did you notice what remains just about the same? The copy.
That’s a point we’d like to get across – rather than spending your time making small tweaks that have small impacts on conversions, focus on the copy.
If you’ll be doing any kind of A/B split testing, test your headlines and copy first.
The strengths of the Robinhood.io signup landing page:
Building the signup landing page is really up to you. You can literally use ANY landing page as your signup page.
Use a KickoffLabs landing page, embeddable opt-in forms for use on a custom site, or our Bounce exit intent widget.
Need design, copywriting, or marketing inspiration? We’ve got you covered in our Marketing Resource Center! Check it out now.
1. In this example we’ll be creating an entire campaign from scratch, but you can always create a new landing page under any existing campaign within KickoffLabs.
Click ‘Add New Campaign’ to create a new lead generation campaign. If you’ve just signed up, you’ll automatically be taken to the campaign creation page when you log in.
** **2. Give your campaign a detailed name, then click ‘Continue’.
** **3. Next you’ll be prompted to choose how you want to collect leads. For the purposes of this guide we’ll choose “On a New Landing Page”, but you can choose the option that best suits your needs.
** **4. When you select “On a New Landing Page” you’ll be present with a list of our most popular themes. You can view demos by hovering over the theme and clicking the “Demo Page” button. Remember, there is no right or wrong signup page design for this type of campaign, so choose the one you like best!
5. Once you’ve clicked a theme to select it, you’ll be asked if you want to include an Exit Intent widget with the signup page. We recommend this, but it’s not required. Then, click ‘Continue’.
6. Next, you will be prompted to choose your Thank You page theme. You can add a waitlist snippet to any of our drag and drop thank you page designs, but for the purpose of this guide, we’re going to scroll down and select the “Robinhood Waits in Line” theme. Then, click ‘Create Campaign’.
7. You’ll see an overview of your campaign selections. You can click the link to see a preview of the campaign. Once you’re satisfied, click the ‘Start Editing’ button.
** **8. Now it’s time to edit your pages! On the Campaign Dashboard, click the “Edit Page” button to get started.
When your edits are complete, click ‘Save’, then click ‘Publish’ to push the changes live.
All set creating the signup page!
This is where the real magic starts to happen. The team at Robinhood reported that over 50% of signups came through social referrals. So besides a great thank you, the real call-to-action on this secondary page is to get people sharing.
Here’s why this expertly crafted thank you page converts well:
** **1. Back on your Campaign Dashboard click the ‘Edit Page’ button next to the thank you page you selected during your campaign creation.
2. Inside of the designer is where you’ll edit the page and configure the waiting list numbers.
Our “Robinhood Waits In Line” theme automatically calculates and displays the correct information to your signups. However inside of the designer you will see default test numbers so you can see what an example would look like.
** **3. Here’s an overview of the waitlist settings:
All of the text on the page is completely editable, so you can change these labels to fit your needs.
4. Click anywhere on the waitlist snippet to open the editing panel. From here you can update the colors of the snippet, the label text, and hide any sections you don’t want to use.
5. To update your social share settings, click anywhere in the snippet that contains your social share icons. This will open an editing window on the left menu. Here’s you can add or remove social networks from the share list, and update your social share messages. Find our full guide on updating your viral social sharing links here!
*Note – Facebook Sharing and Twitter Image Summary Cards are set up via the Settings in the signup page editor.
** **6. When you’re done making edits to your thank you page, click ‘Save’, then click ‘Publish’ to push the changes live.
All set creating the thank you page!
*Before you exit the editor, be sure to fill out the page title and description from the “Settings” sidebar.
7. We’ve already connected your signup page to your thank you page for you. To confirm we are using the correct pages, head back to your Campaign Dashboard. On the left menu click ‘Settings’. The first 2 options are your default signup and default thank you page.
Don’t neglect your signups after they’ve converted. Email reminds people what they signed up for and instigates action. Not to mention it’s proven that email has the highest ROI out of all marketing channels.
The first email that Robinhood sent out was a simple text-based email (no fancy templates necessary) that reinforces “priority access” and the chance to get access sooner.
Notice how the email also includes a link back to the thank you page with “check your spot”.
The series of emails Robinhood sent at different times are:
**A. Instant thank you email (AutoReply)**
** **1. From your Campaign Dashboard, select ‘Send Emails’ from the left menu.
** **2. If you’ve not yet set up your Email Settings for the campaign, you will immediately be prompted to do so. This is where you can update your “From” name, your “From Email Address”, postal address (required under the CAN-SPAM Act), unsubscribe message, as well as set a custom unsubscribe page.
If you’ve already set up your Email Settings, you will see the Email Dashboard. From the dashboard, click “Manage Auto Reply Email” to be taken to the Email editor where you can configure your email. Add in a logo, customize the text, and more.
However you customize the email, we highly recommend you use the Email tokens we provide to autogenerate the social referral and sharing links – do not type out your own links, as we will not be able to track referrals properly.
** **3. When you’re done editing the Auto Reply email, scroll down and click ‘Save Auto Reply Settings’.
All set configuring the initial email autoresponse!
** **B. Progress email (Influencer Email)
1. From your Campaign Dashboard select “Send Emails” from the left menu.
2. Scroll down and choose “Setup Influencer Emails”
3. Be sure to check the “Enable Influencer Email” box. Then, customize the email by adding in text, images, etc… When you’re done click ‘Save Influencer Email Settings’.
All set creating the influencer email!
**C. Incentive emails (a KickoffLabs exclusive)**
**1.** From your Campaign Dashboard select “Send Emails” from the left menu.
2. Click ‘Setup Reward Level Emails’ to create a new reward level (incentive) Email. You can create separate Emails for multiple referral goals.
** **3. Click “Add a Reward Level Email” to create your new incentive Email.
4. Make sure the incentive email is enabled. Then in the “Required Number of Leads” field, place in the number of successful referrals necessary to trigger the incentive.
In this example, I’m linking to a potential special link that people can use to gain access. But you can include a direct link to your app download, product sales page… whatever the conversion goal is.
It’s really up to you how you use KickoffLabs Viral Incentive Emails. Feel free to get creative. We’d love to see what you come up with!
** **5. When you’re done editing the incentive email, use the checkbox to decide whether you want to receive a notification when a user triggers the Email, then scroll down and click ‘Save Email’.
The cool thing about KickoffLabs Viral Incentive Emails is that you can create as many incentive levels as you need.
Want to create more? Click ‘Add Another Incentive Email’.
1. We can send real-time Email alerts anytime someone signs up to your campaign. You can enable/disable these messages by clicking “Push Leads” from the left menu panel, then click “Manage” next to Status Reports and Lead Notifications.
When you are ready to start collecting signups, it’s time to publish your campaign to the live web. When you publish your page, you get a URL link that can be shared and advertised.
While you can always publish pages to our free kickoffpages.com domain – this is generally meant as a testing domain for your landing pages. It’s best to use a custom domain so visitors don’t get confused if they see kickoffpages.com in your domain name.
For the best results (and highest conversion rate), we recommend using your own custom domain with KickoffLabs.
KickoffLabs automatically tracks any sharing that signups are doing. We use this data to move people on the waiting list.
**1.** Once you start collecting leads, you’ll find all the data under the “Reports” link on the left menu. Click the “See Viral Reports” link for a more detailed analysis.
2. You can also use your Lead Report to access your list of leads to filter through most recent AND most influential leads. Use our Lead Filters to search and segment your lead list.
From the left menu, select “Leads”, then click “View All”
3. For more in-depth tracking, click ‘Download Leads’ to download a detailed spreadsheet of your leads.
We hope this quick guide helps you in building the perfect fully-featured waiting list campaign.
If you require any assistance, feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com
If you’ve gotten this far and still don’t have a KickoffLabs account…