You have a ton of content. The only problem? It’s collecting cobwebs. No one’s reading your old stuff because it’s buried.What if you could take that old content and bring new life to it by repurposing it? Click To Tweet
What if you could take that old content and bring new life to it by repurposing it? Not only can you make something that’s valuable to your audience, but you can also use that content to convert first-time visitors into email subscribers.
In this post, let’s focus on generating leads with opt-in bribes.
What is an Opt-in Bribe?
So, the next obvious question is, “What’s an opt-in bribe?”
Despite it’s rather unfortunate name, an opt-in bribe is an ethical incentive. It’s a conversion tool that offers a gift in exchange for signing up to your email list.
The gift is usually a digital and downloadable asset, although it can be anything you choose (from consultations to T-shirts). In this post, we’ll discuss how to use your old content to create an opt-in bribe.
Why Use Opt-in Bribes?
Now, you may be thinking, “What’s so great about an opt-in bribe?”
Opt-in bribes are effective because:
- Everyone loves a freebie. Free is the most beloved word in the English language.
- Bribes incentivize action. A free gift can motivate a visitor to take action.
- Benefits are beneficial. Bribes answer the question, “What’s in it for me?”
- Bribes make everyone a winner. Start your relationship off on the right foot by rewarding your new subscriber.
- Bribes shine a positive light on your brand. By giving something away “for free”, you look generous.
How to Generate Opt-in Bribes
Now, let’s talk about how to create opt-in bribes.
You basically have two options:
- Create an opt-in bribe from scratch. (But who has time for that?)
- Repurpose your existing content and turn that into an opt-in bribe. (Now you’re talking…)
I prefer the second option because you don’t have to do too much work to create a winning opt-in bribe. Tweaking your existing content to create a bribe is an excellent idea! You can rely on content that you’ve already created.
If you have a blog, you can use old blog posts to create a variety of opt-ins. Don’t forget to download a list of opt-in bribe ideas at the end of this post.
But what if you don’t have a blog?
If you have any content whatsoever, you can use it to create a killer bribe. Let’s say you have:
- A few years’ worth of social media posts → Compile them into a list and name it “100 Things We’ve Learned About X Industry”
- A series of YouTube videos → Edit the highlights of each video and compile it into a new video for your subscribers
- Podcast episodes → Make a supersized resource guide of show notes
The Right Opt-in Bribe Has the Following:
Here are the characteristics that define a successful opt-in:
- It’s actionable – Your bribe will provide a quick win.
- It’s accessible – Your bribe should be immediately available via download.
- It’s beneficial – Your bribe will solve a problem. This is, without a doubt, the most important aspect for any lead magnet.
- It’s a quick read – Your bribe is easily digestible. Even if it’s a comprehensive resource, your bribe will be easy to read and act upon.
How to Promote Your Opt-in Bribe
Once you have the perfect opt-in bribe, it’s time to promote it so that your audience actually opts in. How do you do that?
You’ll start off with two simple steps (but you can get as detailed as you’d like with these two steps).
First, create a landing page for your opt-in bribe.
Why create a landing page? Several fine reasons:
- You need a central location to house your opt-in bribe. And it’s a lot easier to direct traffic to a landing page where subscribers can download your bribe vs. handling it exclusively over email.
- The download is automated. After you’ve uploaded the digital asset you’ll use as your opt-in bribe, there’s nothing more that you need to do. Subscribers can now access the download automatically.
- The download is instantly available. Another benefit to not handling downloads over email? Your subscribers don’t have to wait, or search through their spam folders. They’ll have immediate access to the download.
- Your landing page is sharable. Not only can they download the reward instantly, they can also share the landing page with others. And, you’ll encourage them to do just that by including social share buttons and a secondary call-to-action that says, “Please share this page with your friends.” You’ll activate a viral chain of events.
We have a special landing page template for your opt-in bribe that you can access right here. Personalize this template to reflect your individual style.
Second, advertise your landing page everywhere, including on your website, via social media, through search engine ads, and even to your existing email list (so that they can access the download too and share it with their friends).
Where you advertise will depend on your specific goal.
If you don’t have a lot of website traffic, consider paying for it through Google or Facebook ads. Or, if you don’t have the budget to pay for ads, you can be super strategic about how you use social media to promote your content. Unless you pay to play, Facebook isn’t the best place for discovery, but Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram are worth exploring. Create a visually compelling social media post for each of those platforms to attract people to your landing page.
Then, you can direct traffic to an optimized landing page with your opt-in bribe.
If you already have a decent stream of traffic, but want to convert visitors into subscribers, find the most popular pages of your website, and promote your opt-in bribe there.
Hint: Your most popular pages may be on your blog.
So, with that being said, you should definitely include an opt-in on your blog posts, like we do here.
You can advertise your opt-in bribe in various ways:
If you’d like to go broader than your blog, you can also use opt-in forms on the other pages of your website, including your home page. For example:
Learn more about our email opt-in forms here.
If you’d like to use your opt-in bribe to promote a contest, you can use a mixture of all of the above ideas. An opt-in bribe is a wonderful way to reward everyone who signs up for your contest.
If you’d like to use your opt-in bribe as a reward for pre-launches, ditto the above. Using language like, “Learn more about solving your problem today!”, you can tease people into opting in for the incentive.
Our KickoffLabs landing page templates come with opt-in functionality, but if you use a third-party page like WordPress, you can still use KickoffLabs AnyForm to capture leads.
Before you go, check out these additional resources:
- Opt-Ins, Content Upgrades, Lead Magnets, Oh My! Your Beginner’s Guide
- Bribe Your Audience With Digital Downloads for Opt-Ins
Learn the Landing Page Marketing Essentials:
Copywriting, Design, and Traffic GenerationCheck It Out